market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elaine Granata" <ecgranat AT ouray.cudenver.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:19:18 -0600

Shelly: My Pests of the West book says they are very hard to kill, even
with pesticides. He suggests removing infested plants immmediately after
harvest, or removing cover to deprice them of shelter for overwintering. He
suggests diverting them by planting a more appealing crop, like radishes and
mustards-- that's not a quick solution, however.

I did a bug patrol every morning a couple of years back when I was hit with
them and just picked them off into soapy water -- very time consuming!!

Good luck.

Elaine
Denver -- record 104 degrees.