market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buckwheat shortage?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Atkerson <jatkerso AT bowlinggreen.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buckwheat shortage?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:51:46 -0500

Jennifer:

We recently purchased buckwheat seed-- but in a fifty pound quantity from Albert Lea Seed Company in Albert Lea, Minnesota. This was definitely cheaper than some vegetable seed companies. The seed arrived in a few days by UPS. Shipping was costly but still less expensive than the other sources.

We will sow later this week. (South Central Kentucky)

Jay

Palisade Garden

Jennifer Albert wrote:

I got two beds ready to plant buckwheat cover last week, went to the farm store to get seed, and was told that there's a shortage of buckwheat seed in this area (which must mean northern New Mexico and southern Colorado) and there's no seed available!

It usually sells for 60 to 80 cents a pound and I buy a 50 pound bag so I always have some. Calls to stores all over the area (including southern Colorado) didn't find me any seed, and no one had an explanation for the shortage. Finally I started calling home garden centers in Santa Fe, and I managed to find a little seed at two nursery centers, and they were both charging over $2 a pound for it! I asked one why it was so expensive, and they replied, definitely snottily, that "it's organic seed and we pay a lot for it." I did NOT buy it there, but still paid $2.19 a pound for five pounds, and I'm managing for now with that.

Anyone experiencing a similar shortage? I'm not sure what I'll do if I plant another round after plowing this one in . . .

Jenny in northern New Mexico
Zone 5