market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] source for low cost equipment loans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vint Lawrence <vlawrence AT nets.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] source for low cost equipment loans
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:53:26 -0600

Liz,
I would suggest that you contact the Permaculture Credit Union (PCU) in Santa Fe, NM.
The web site is www.pcuonline.org and the toll-free line is 1-866-954-3479.
We started the PCU 5 years ago and it is based upon the ethics of permaculture:
Care of the Earth
Respect for people
Return of surplus.
Credit unions were originally created by farmers for farmers. They have recently become more and more like banks but are still owned by their members rather than "investors" and they are still "democratic" institutions in that the membership elects a governing board on the basis of one person, one vote.
I have been involved with the PCU as an organizer and board member since its inception and can certainly vouch for its integrity and ethics of operation.
The PCU offers loan rates that are discounted by three quarters of a percent for "sustainable" activities which includes rainwater harvesting, energy efficiency home improvements, small scale farm equipment, edible landscaping, etc. The PCU cannot make "commercial or business" loans, but the loan officer and CEO, Don Sarich, will work with you to make a loan work if it is at all possible.
Surprisingly, although the PCU is small, they can make loans in all 50 states.
The field of membership includes anyone who believes in the above noted ethics.

Vint Lawrence
Santa Fe, NM

Strawberry Wine wrote:

Well, it looks like I'll be moving to Kentucky, to a new farm. I'll be thrilled to get back to farming, but I'll still shoe on the side. Anyway, question is we need to find a loan for financing farm equipment. What do y'all recommend?? This farm is 68 acres & we have someone who'll bale hay for us until we get settled. But in the meantime we still need a tractor!! Where to start??
Liz Pike
Danbury NC (soon to be Dawson Springs, KY)
http://www.lizpikeequineservices.com
http://www.marketfarmer.com