market-farming - [Market-farming] Grasshopper bait, Brown recluse spider, Fire Ants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Grasshopper bait, Brown recluse spider, Fire Ants
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:06:09 -0500

Re: grasshopper bait

Are you going to use the Rice Bran as the bait? I don't know if it will
work very well because it doesn't contain gluten which helps bind stuff
and acts like glue.
No the rice bran is for something else...but what acts like glue in the grasshopper bait is the molasses, so I suspect the rice bran might work.

Re: Brown Recluse Spiders
We have lots of these in Alabama and their bite can be nasty, leading to necrosis of the tissue around the bite. Nasty, nasty. All I know is avoidance and being carful, but maybe the Kentucky site will help.
Do any of you, being in rural areas for the most part, have this
problem? I'm not up on pesticides and would appreciate any info.
thanks,

Re: Fire Ant Bites
On a similar topic, I have found a really effective treatment for fire ant bites, which also will become infected and take weeks to heal. The solution is to roll or spray deodorant on the bites. It stops the stinging and prevents the infection. I know keep deodorant at the greenhouse for just this purpose. It also has been effective at stopping a poison-ivy like rash I get when I handle Red Giant Mustard without gloves.

  • [Market-farming] Grasshopper bait, Brown recluse spider, Fire Ants, Adriana, 06/07/2005