market-farming - [Market-farming] Asparagus & weeds?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Asparagus & weeds?
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:42:17 -0400

Hello, M-F!
I am thinking of asparagus as a crop in a bigger way, as our family
patch grows so well here. Many locals love asparagus, and very little is
trucked into the nearest stores. As this will take about three years to
start producing - now is the time for a few questions!
I do not use herbides or pesticides, and clearly the weeds are my
biggest problem in our current, small 125 plant patch. As i do not have
visions of planting out a large field and do my gardens with handwork, do
any of you have suggestions on how to keep it more weed-free? I have used
cardboard covered with thick mulch with some success and am wondering if
that it the way to grow? I am a bit wary, as this is snakey country and
i found several hatched snake eggs under the coardboard last year! Can a
thick cover crop to smother out more of the weeds be used without
competing with the asparagus for nutrients?
So much to learn - and many thanks for your help along the way!
This week, i have had mixed lettuces, spinach, pac choi, asparagus, and
iris bouquets to sell........am happy with it all!
Toni - starting and staying smalltime in E. KY