market-farming - [Market-farming] Roundup controversy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Elise Lutrick <eliselutrick AT usa.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Roundup controversy
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:28:50 -0500

Hi, folks.

Roundup is likely not as innocuous as Monsanto's own studies have led the
public to believe. Remember, Monsanto has a huge vested interest in selling
this product--it's probably their biggest money-maker. And it is THEIR testing
that won approval for this thing to be put in your hands so that you can give
your money for it and apply it to your lands.

Over the past several years, I have heard lots of snatches here and there that
Roundup is not nearly so safe as it was touted to be. TO lend credence to
these claims, it can be noted that Monsanta has made more than one settlement
with the state of NY regarding the falsehood of its safety claims in
advertising within that state. They would not have done that had there been no
truth to the allegations. I also have a recollection that there have also been
charges of falsification of data made with respect to the approval process for
glyphosate, and I believe I recall reading that these charges were
substantiated.

When I read the comments here about Roundup, I decided to do a bit of
Googling. I found the follow article on the Journal of Pesticide Reform
website. While some might discount this compilation of information because of
its source--surely such an article from such a source must be biased--it is
thoroughly footnoted (183 references), and the sources are peer-reviewed
journals, the EPA, and even Monsanto itself--in short, the sources of
infomation would be considered reliable:

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Roundup-Glyphosate-Factsheet-Cox.htm

Additionally, the following article from the Journal, Environmental Health
Perspectives, is from the NIH website. The work was done by French scientists
at the Laboratoire de Biochimie et Biologie Moleculaire, USC-INCRA,
Université de Caen, Caen, France. Their work was done in vitro, on a human
placental cell line. It showed toxicity to these human placental cells within
18 hours of application at concentrations less that those recommended for
agricultural use. This study was triggered by the fact that some agricultural
workers experienced pregnancy problems while using Roundup. This is a
scientific paper, and may be difficult reading for some, but anyway--for your
perusal:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2005/7728/7728.pdf

There's loads of other stuff out there. Just Google. And consider the source
when clicking if you want an unbiased info--from either direction.

Elise