market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Roundup not harmless

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Roundup not harmless
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 13:39:25 -0600

The problem with Roundup and most chemicals is that the chemical companies
put out bogus PR on how "safe" it is, when in reality it is a chemical that
kills or damages a lot of things. Even vinegar and salt water will kill and
damage. They want to make the most money off their product so they'll use
advertising to make it seem benign.
Personally, I don't believe in "weed" eradication. "Weeds" are what
wildlife needs to live on, and eliminating them means wildlife will have to
eat something else (like your crops). I use companion planting myself, as
well as planting a few extra for wildlife and asking them to please use
those. Some may make fun of that, but it works for me!
I've included one of many technical reports below about the damaging
effects of Roundup by peer review-which means it's been
authenticated....And it's from 5 years ago!!!!!

Barb

=====================
Differential effects of glyphosate and Roundup on human placental cells
and aromatase

Sophie Richard, Safa Moslemi, Herbert Sipahutar, Nora Benachour,
Gilles-Eric Seralini

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2005/7728/abstract.html

Abstract in PDF

This EHP-in-Press article has been peer-reviewed, revised, and accepted for
publication. The EHP-in-Press articles are completely citable using the
assigned DOI code for the article. This document will be replaced with the
copyedited and formatted version as soon as it is available. Through the
DOI number used in the citation, you will be able to access this document
at each stage of the publication process. Environ Health Perspect
doi:10.1289/ehp.7728 available via http://dx.doi.org/ [Online 24 February
2005]

The full version of this article is available for free in PDF format.

**************^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^**************************

Roundup Inhibits Steroidogenesis by Disrupting Steroidogenic Acute
Regulatory (StAR) Protein Expression

Lance P. Walsh,1 Chad McCormick,1 Clyde Martin,2 and Douglas M. Stocco1
1Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health
Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, USA
2Department of Mathematics, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas, USA

* Introduction
* Materials and Methods
* Results
* Discussion
Abstract
Recent reports demonstrate that many currently used pesticides have the
capacity to disrupt reproductive function in animals. Although this
reproductive dysfunction is typically characterized by alterations in serum
steroid hormone levels, disruptions in spermatogenesis, and loss of
fertility, the mechanisms involved in pesticide-induced infertility remain
unclear. Because testicular Leydig cells play a crucial role in male
reproductive function by producing testosterone, we used the mouse MA-10
Leydig tumor cell line to study the molecular events involved in
pesticide-induced alterations in steroid hormone biosynthesis. We
previously showed that the organochlorine insecticide lindane and the
organophosphate insecticide Dimethoate directly inhibit steroidogenesis in
Leydig cells by disrupting expression of the steroidogenic acute regulatory
(StAR) protein. StAR protein mediates the rate-limiting and acutely
regulated step in steroidogenesis, the transfer of cholesterol from the
outer to the inner mitochondrial membrane where the cytochrome P450 side
chain cleavage (P450scc) enzyme initiates the synthesis of all steroid
hormones. In the present study, we screened eight currently used pesticide
formulations for their ability to inhibit steroidogenesis, concentrating on
their effects on StAR expression in MA-10 cells. In addition, we determined
the effects of these compounds on the levels and activities of the P450scc
enzyme (which converts cholesterol to pregnenolone) and the
3ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3ß-HSD) enzyme (which converts
pregnenolone to progesterone). Of the pesticides screened, only the
pesticide Roundup inhibited dibutyryl [(Bu)2]cAMP-stimulated progesterone
production in MA-10 cells without causing cellular toxicity. Roundup
inhibited steroidogenesis by disrupting StAR protein expression, further
demonstrating the susceptibility of StAR to environmental pollutants. Key
words: chemical mixtures, cytochrome P450 side chain cleavage,
environmental endocrine disruptor, 3ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase,
Leydig
cells, Roundup, steroid hormones, steroidogenesis, steroidogenic acute
regulatory protein. Environ Health Perspect 108:769-776 (2000). [Online 12
July 2000]
=========