market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] American Bamboo

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <mcheselka AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] American Bamboo
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:11:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I've only heard bad things about having bamboo, and I was just wondering if anyone has anything good to say about it.  I'm considering it as a windbreak.  Certainly it's a fast grower if given the right conditions (like a lot of water), but where I'm located (southeast Arizona) this stuff will not get a lot of water.  Perhaps that's one way of keeping ahead of it's growth?  Also, if I regularly trim/dig it, can I keep it in control?

Thanks,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

Karen Sutherland and Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm> wrote:
Greetings all,

Back from Dominica for a visit in western MA (zone 5) to find cousin
confronted with American Bamboo invasion. He tells me that his
attempts to dig it up by the roots has only made it mad and a year plus
worth of mowing hasn't stopped its spread either. Will continual
mowing finally eradicate it? Is there anything that will?

Thanks and all best wishes,

Karen
--

*Karen Sutherland **