market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmers' market displays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmers' market displays
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 15:22:20 -0400

Most important to us is heads of leafy lettuce, cut herbs and root veggies
with the tops left on. We like to make beautiful displays in baskets to
bring in the customers, so they need to be seen, but protected from
desiccation.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Hi Alison,
Last year when it was warm...I would take plastic tubs of any kind, (I used
bustubs),lay nice looking kitchen towels, (I am fond of the old style looking
ones) around the edges of the tubs to hide them and have cold water in the
tub for my lettuce. No one minded that it was wet and I would shake it out
as good as I could, bag it and tell them to take it out to dry as soon as
they got home. I also told them not to tie the bag closed. As for my herbs
and produce that needed to be kept cold, I used those ice packs and
"icesheets" as I call them under nice towels in wooden boxes that I collect.
I set the produce right on top of the towels with the ice packs underneath
and it seemed to keep them cold for the 4 hours of market. I also keep a
cooler of ice/water to mist the tops as need be. It looked nice, and it was
well presented and it sure didn't scare anyone away!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh