market-farming - [Market-farming] Infestatin of Black ants in compost pile

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Craig Gilbert" <GarlicBed AT Comcast.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Infestatin of Black ants in compost pile
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 07:55:51 -0400

I have a compost pile mainly composed of oak leaves and kitchen waste. Last fall it was 6 feet tall and 12 feet wide. It is now about flat, and I am trying to convert and manage it in three parts. One for current year, one with leaves and dirt to put over food, and one with finished compost to move to my garden beds. There is a huge population of big black ants. They do not bite, but they climb all over you. Last week I tried a pot of boiling water on them, which I plan to repeat. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Craig Gilbert, zone 7B
Atlanta