market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Wild Turkeys

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Wild Turkeys
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:30:40 -0400

We have flocks of between 10 to as many as 50 birds come through my farm on a regular basis. During the summer they will have dozens of poults. Think of them as guinea foul on steroids, they eat insects and I have never seen any crop damage from them. They will get into my greenhouses but if I leave them alone they exit without stepping on plants. Dogs fear turkeys more then turkeys fear dogs. As the years go by you will see more and more of them, they get quite tame... Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Robin Follette wrote:

This morning five wild turkeys showed up on our front lawn.  I knew they'd make their way out here eventually but hoped it wouldn't happen for a long time. Does anyone know how likely it is that wild and domestic turkeys will cross?  I don't want them near my rare breed birds.  My birds are loose during the day to roam the pasture.  If they go too far into our woods one of the farmcollies brings them back. How do I keep them out of two acres of garden?  My birds are contained when the garden starts producing because they do a lot of damage in a short amount of time.  Peas are sprouting now and spinach and beets will be up any day now. Are wild turkeys nervous enough to stay away because of loose dogs?  I'm hoping this is the first time these birds have wandered through and don't know how busy we are outside.  I have three working farm dogs that keep deer away.  I don't want the turkeys here but don't want my dogs harming them either.  The dogs know they aren't allowed to touch birds but I don't know how they'll react to wild birds.  I can see my collies trying to bring these birds home where they think they belong. I like turkeys - at a distance that doesn't cause me problems.  Any advice given will be appreciated.
Robin Follette
Thyme For Ewe Farm  www.thymeforewe.com
Maine, Zone 4