market-farming - [Market-farming] ATTRA pub on organic soil amendments

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ATTRA pub on organic soil amendments
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:17:57 -0500

Thanks, Nan -

Yes, there is the following.

Alternative Soil Amendments
ATTRA
http://www.attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/altsoilamend.html

The fertility and pest control products for the organic
farming industry is advancing rapidly.

It provides a brief introduction, with terminology and
descriptions... but it's a few years old and doesn't
attempt to summarize the latest developments.

Organic fertilizers, microbial inoculants, humic sources,
chelates, blended materials and so forth keep getting
better each year.

Steve Diver

Thanks Steve for update info re: ATTRA....however, the publication I read
back in 01 (Organic Soil Amendments) did have comments about whether or not
the amendment was economically feasible, so to speak, for market farmer
types.

If I recall what I read accurately, greensand, e.g. was not highly
recommended since for its price, it did not deliver much and so I decided
against buying it as an amendment. I found that type of analysis very
helpful. Perhaps I have a faulty memory! Oh well.....I think ATTRA is the
best resource around for sust. agriculture issues!

nan at dancing goats farm, zone 7b, mississippi

  • [Market-farming] ATTRA pub on organic soil amendments, Steve Diver, 04/20/2005