market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rooting hormone...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sean Albiston <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rooting hormone...
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:09:14 -0500

When you propagate them, instead of literally cutting the stems you can simply create division by bending and burying stem under soil - preferably in new pots situated next to the 'mother' plant. You could also make actual cuttings and use willow sap for most edibles. Before burying stem, it will speed things up a bit if you scratch the surface of the outer tissue to expose more meristematic tissue.
sean albiston
www.bluerooforganics.com
MN zone 4b

I am interested in taking cuttings from some of my herbs such as tri-color
sage and rosemary. And I was at a garden store looking for rooting hormome
to buy. But the 2 that they carry, are not supposed to be used on edibles.
So I asked one of the Master Gardner's there, and he had no clue! So, he
sent me to my extension office, and there was no one there to ask!!! I have
to wait until they come in next week. So, I was wondering if anyone out
there may have any idea's for me???

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh