market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Betsy Knutson" <betsy AT gobigwest.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 06:45:18 -0600

If you use a seed mat for extra warmth when starting tomato seeds, you can expect to see them sprout in as little as two days, but more typical is 5 to 7 days. The main thing to take care with is not to cover them too deeply with your seed starting mix. Using weak chamomile tea to water with after they are up helps prevent damping off. I have heard of sprinkling the top of the seed mix with cinnamon helps too, but I have not tried that. If you have a small fan blowing on them promotes stocky growth through thigmatropism (response to touch, in this case air movement) and helps prevent damping off by circulating the air.

Betsy (betsy@gobigwest.com)

Southern Idaho, USDA Zone 5

This isn't Burger King! You can't have it your way!