market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Speedlings, Digging Forks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Speedlings, Digging Forks
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:51:56 -0500

When I use speedling type trays for transplanting in the field I always have
a large plastic lined tray filled with water on
the wagon. I soak each tray in the water while I am planting another. Soaked
speedlings that are well rooted slip out
effortlessly. I say well rooted because if not the tops of the plants rip off
without any root, lettuce is notorious for
this. I always add liquid fertilizer to the water and a little Aqua gro
"wetting agent" to make the water slippery. I also
use this method when transplanting plugs in the greenhouse... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.