market-farming - [Market-farming] market promotion idea

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] market promotion idea
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:55:39 -0700

I know your post was about advertising the market. Your post did not state
if or ever your market holds events. If not, this may be a helpful way to
get more patrons into your market at the beginning of the season. A few new
patrons will become consistent buyers for the entire market season if you
can get them to attend at least once!

I am in NO way an expert of farmer's markets. I do not even attend them.
However, I was wondering if you could kick-off the market season with some
event.

Have the event a few weeks after the market starts when there is abundant
produce at every stall.

Something like:
"Your local farmers' market cares about your community! Come to the market
on Thurs., April 21st to win one of three baskets (small, medium, large) of
the best our farm market has to offer! Then state that a matching basket
(total of three) will be donated to the local food bank*". To get tickets
to win, folks will need to pick up a "chance" to win at any vending stall
from April 1st-20th. It will be up to you if you will charge for the
tickets or require a purchase at the farmers' market for a chance to win. I
think, making it free will get folks to come to the market just to get a
ticket. Maybe not?

Anyway, choose a day when you have moderate traffic as new patrons would not
want to find the market is crowded or empty. Either would be a negative in
the eyes of new or perspective patrons.

Diabetes is a growing issue in this nation. How about approaching the local
hospital nutritionist for event ideas, etc? The hospital may have some
funds for her to attend your market to answer questions and hand out
pamphlets. Be sure to have available reliable diabetic recipes highlighting
produce from your vendors! A cooking booklet sponsored by the local
hospital with recipes and a chart of vendors with the types of produce they
sell! Nutritionist are considered experts by media. TV news and radio
would be interested in attending your event and interviewing the expert plus
the market manager too!

No matter what event you choose (elaborate to simple), I think it would help
set the tone for the entire market season. Be sure the market is a clean,
happy, family-friendly place with friendly, interesting, vendors on hand.
Times and days the market are open should be clearly displayed in several
locations in the market to imprint the idea to return to the market in the
potent patrons' heads. Be sure to post upcoming events, prime time to buy
certain produce, etc. Try to advertise within the market on the day of the
event ANY and ALL reasons the visitors should return. Several weeks later
when a visitor thinks about a dessert for guests, she will remember a sign
that stated "Come on back for our berry best strawberries the entire month
of June".

***It sounds to me like you are attempting to attract customers that may
consider attending farmers' markets, but they have not come for one reason
or other. And customers that may not have thought of themselves as they
"typical" farm market patrons? Start from their point of view and their
point of interest. Then use that interest (health, charity, local school
fund raiser, etc) to get them to your market. Once they are there, your
vendors need to give them the experience potent customers will want to have
again and again during the growing season.***

*Ronald McDonald House, Lion's Club (specify program), women shelter, etc.
Or holding a "wellness" event where a qualified nurse checks blood pressure
for free or the local bloodmobile comes to your market, etc.

None of this may help, but I hope it generates a few ideas!!!!!!