market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Markets rule language - baked goods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: guyclark AT socket.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Markets rule language - baked goods
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:56:55 -600

Beth-

> >We are trying to define the qualities allowed at a farmers market.
> >Producer is pretty well defined for vegetable growers, but what about
> >bakers. We tried saying baked goods must be made from "scratch", but a
> >baker on the Board countered with she uses ready-made puff pastry and
> >phyllo dough for some things. I use ready-made phyllo dough for
baklava.
> >Another person said that wasn't from "scratch".
>
> We then tried something like "No par-baked or pre-baked items may be
sold.
> Some ingredients may be purchased prepared", but that would allow
someone
> to buy frozen pie crust and canned filling and make a pie. Does anyone
have
> good rules for baked goods?

Here is our rule, not sure if it is clear, but we made two differnt
categories. You could just leave out the stuff you don't like. This is
very sticky wicket. Steal at will.

http://farmersmarket.missouri.org/rules-04.html

"What Can Be Sold

Raw Agricultural Products: This category includes fruits, vegetables,
grains, herbs, flowers, bedding plants and potted plants. Bedding plants
and potted plants must be grown from seed, plug, cutting, bulbs or
bareroot by the seller. No resale of pre-finished plants is allowed.

Value-added Agricultural Products: This category includes products made of
raw agricultural products grown by the seller that have been processed or
any whose sale a government agency regulates. Examples are jams, jellies,
salsas, sauces, oils, vinegars, baked goods, molasses, cider and
picked-out nuts. The value-added product must contain significant material
grown or produced by the seller. Sellers must abide by all applicable
federal, state and local health regulations. In addition, they must adhere
to federal guidelines on all labels. Products in this category must be
brought before the board for approval.

Non-agricultural Products: This category includes farm, garden, or food
related crafts and value-added agricultural products made without raw
agricultural products grown by the member. Examples include: baked goods,
juried arts and crafts, handmade soap, handcrafted furniture, other garden
related products, pottery and similar items. The member selling them must
have created these items. These products are admitted at the discretion of
the Board, for members in good standing only.
Any stall with greater than 50 percent non-agricultural products in
member’s possession at the opening bell of a market session shall be a
non-agricultural stall. Non-agricultural stalls shall not number more than
5 stalls or 10 percent of the total membership, rounded to the nearest
whole number, whichever is greater.

Meat and Other Animal Products: This category includes meats, poultry,
milk, cheese, eggs, farm-raised fish, honey, wool, leather, and other
products derived from animals. All slaughter animals shall be in the
vendor's immediate custody, care and control a minimum of 50 percent of
the animal's life at time of slaughter. Vendors must abide by all
applicable federal, state and local regulations and inspection regimes. In
addition, they must adhere to federal or state guidelines on all labels.
All animals sold as cut meat at the Columbia Farmers' Market should come
from a known source; no resale of trader or sale barn cattle and no
livestock from any condemned or "for slaughter only" herds shall be sold
in any form."

Guy Clark
Columbia Farmers' Market
Fertile Crescent Farms