market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Effective Micro-organisms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland <ksutherland AT hampshire.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Effective Micro-organisms
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:37:04 -0400

Al-Mario Casimir & Ian Alexander prepared a pamphlet for the Organic Desk of the Division of Agriculture here in Dominica explaining how to produce your own EM using local organisms. I have not tried this yet. Quoting from their pamphlet:

" Bacteria Traps:

Materials:

1 plastic container
4 oz cooked rice
piece of nylon net
string

Procedure:

Place the cooked rice in the container
Cover container with the nylon net and secure with string
Bury the container placing fresh manure or semi-decomposed organic matter on top of the net

Harvesting Bacteria (EM)

After 2 weeks unbury the container and remove the rice (the rice is filled with EM)
Rinse the rice and mix in a solution that contains 1 liter of molasses and 3 liters of pure boiled water. (Stock Solution)

Application:

200 ml of stock solution and 200 ml of molasses in 20 liters of pure water for every m2 of compost, bokashi, etc."

Have any of you produced your own local EM? If so, was your procedure the same?
I am confused about the part where you "rinse the rice and mix in a solution". Seems to me like the rinse water would contain the EM's.
For those of you who have tried EM's (either commercial or a local mix), how would you evaluate their effectiveness against the extra time, effort and costs?

Thank you all.

Karen Sutherland

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

Adriana wrote:

For an excellent discussion and overview of effective micro-organisms go to:
http://www.eminfo.info/index.html

In the author's own words:

" Frankly, the primary reason why I decided to create this website was because I encountered quite a bit of ambiguity and confusion as I first started to use and play with EM and related cultures. The confusion and ambiguity came from many sources; from distributors and vendors of EM products, EM retail stores, and "official" EM websites for variuos organizations, and from other, non-official EM websites, and from individuals in the EM world. I often received confusing answers to my questions, or replies which totally contradicted what someone at the same organization had told me the day before, or which contradicted what the label on my EM bottle advised, coontradicted what an "official" EM website advised, or contradicted what many unofficial EM websites claimed..
The deeper I waded into the EM waters, the more impressed I became with the synergistic metabiotic consortium (cluster) of organisms called EM and their incredible usefulness, and yet the more aware I became that there was apparently a lot of confusion and miscommunication in the EM world. "

If you are interested in this topic, Vinny's web site is a "must-read".

Adriana