market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Broccolini mystery

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Broccolini mystery
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:07:19 -0500

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:40:32 -0600, you wrote:

>I did this broccolini search last year - and yes, it is proprietary. I
>never could find a seed source and now have forgotten the name of the
>company on the west coast that had it - it's a Japanese company with west
>coast locations. If you find any let us all know - I by it at Whole Foods
>and really like it.

-----------
Broccolini: a hybrid of standard broccoli (Brassica oleracea
var. italica) with Chinese kale (Brassica oleracea var.
alboglabra), which resembles long, slender broccoli side
shoots that are nearly ready to flower. The flavor has been
described as similar to broccoli but sweeter and less
pungent or as resembling asparagus. This hybrid was
developed by Sakata Seed Co. and is grown and marketed
exclusively in the United States by Mann Packing Co. and
Sanbon LLC of California.

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/NWREC/collards.html

I wonder if Chinese kale would be a good substitute?

Of the two (both of which I have had), I prefer Chinese
kale. And you can buy the seeds, an obvious advantage.

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/bluestar.html

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.