market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Enviromesh

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Enviromesh
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:57:36 -0500

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:05:19 -0500, you wrote:

>Have any of you heard of Enviromesh? It's a fine mesh netting,
>woven from UV stabilised polyethylene, with 90% light transmission.
>Expected to last 7-10 years. It's a new product being sold in the UK
>to keep bugs off plants. It comes in various mesh sizes, to exclude
>whitefly/aphids/thrips/fleabeetles. Available in a range of widths, 100
>metres on a roll.
> I haven't found a US distributor yet, but I'm keen to! The
>manufacturer's web site is:
><http://www.agralan.co.uk/pest.com.html>
> I hope it gets here soon!

I guess the benefit over floating row cover is the number of
years it will last?

Similar idea: I use nylon net which has the virtue of being
fairly cheap and widely available (every fabric store, and
discount stores with fabric departments).

It will not exclude the tiniest pests (such as flea
beetles), but it will nicely handle cabbage butterflies,
beet leaf miners, and other fairly large insects.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.