market-farming - [Market-farming] my plans for this years garden....

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mark Ritter" <mnr200 AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] my plans for this years garden....
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:00:09 -0600

I d like to share some ideas of what im doing this year and like to hear
from any of you other growers on your plans.. Just dont steal my ideas if
your a little north of Milwaukee.. LOL

1st... Im growing more cherry and pear shaped tomatoes. mini ones..about 12
different types and going to mix them in pints and quarts.. all kinds of
colors mixed together and sell them that way... I havent seen anyone do this
around here and saw it somewheres else and it looks fantastic... also get
more early sales doing this,,,

2nd,.. Im trying not to grow what everyone else is.... I made notes last
year and dont want to compete on price...people go table to table at our
markets and then go back to the cheapest source... its a waste of time...

3rd, im going to grow more greens and clamshell them .. they look better
than bagged .. i found a source doing a websearch for clamshells and lids
about 80 cents ... aka newmans in the grocery store type..

4th,, Im going to do a lot of 2nd season stuff,,,, especially short season
peas in the fall... Last year no one had radishes , greens, peas, etc...
When I asked they said they either didnt have time to put it in or they were
just to burnt out.. these are the same people that in Oct are selling acorn
squash 4 for a dollar with everyone else at the market...i found peas at
another market going for 4 dollars a lb and bought them becuase i hd a
craving for fresh raw peas ( peel and eat em )

so what is everyone else doing different this year... Mark

www.botanikka.com
650 types of heirloom seeds