market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cost of sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cost of sales
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:34:23 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2005 11:27:00 AM Central Standard Time, singingpigfarm AT earthlink.net writes:
Also, I don't get discouraged or resentful when I talk to fellow farmers who are doing better than I am. It encourages and inspires me because it lets me know how much upside potential is available. That's just me, I try to put a positive spin on things.
I agree with the above.  Most of the vendors at Dane County Farmer's Market are <very> willing to tell other vendors how they did that day.  Most are supportive and willing to share.  If they hear that your sales weren't good they will offer suggestions.  Good business people mentor those around them!  Remember, you get what you give in the world :-)

Steve, if it takes you $400 to make $500, then something is not working in your business plan.  I would encourage you to take a hard look at your numbers and find where you are losing money and then eliminate that product, or find a better way to produce it.  Quick Books is an excellent tool for checking your bottom line.  Our gross profit margins run around 85%.  Last year we had to run lower than that because of poor spring weather that kept most people out of their gardens until the end of June.  In order to move product we offered our potted plants at a reduced price.  I also suggest the book "Sell What You Sow" by Eric Gibson.

John, I'll send you my numbers directly.
HTH,
Barb