market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fingerling potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fingerling potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:49:28 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2005 2:47:59 PM Central Standard Time, mf AT austinfarm.org writes:
"Russian Banana
Fingerling" from Melissa's.
Last year we planted several kinds of "gourmet" potatoes that I got at the grocery, some of which were packaged by Melissa's.  Don't want to criticize such a nice company, but, the ones from Melissa's did not sprout.  They must have been treated.  The fingerling potatoes from Whole Food and the organics from Central Market will both grow pretty well.  Don't expect the yield that you get with the reds, but they will also sell for a lot more.  Meanwhile, I would try to get them to sprout a little and see.  Good luck
Wendy Akin
North of you, east of Dallas