market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fingerling potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fingerling potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:26:49 -0600

Thanks for the comments!

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 06:00:41PM -0600, Alan Whitaker wrote:
> We'll start planting here when the soil can be worked. I need about 10 days
> without rain.
> What varieties are you planting over there?

Red LaSoda; maybe it's LaSota?

> > central Texas? We have pretty good luck with Red LaSodas cut into
> > about 2oz chunks and planted 12"-18" apart.

White/Russets don't seem to produce well. Pontiac seems to work OK.

Last Fall, I tried my first Fall crop. Planted about an acre of
sprouting left-over Spring potatoes. Had far less than 1% of a crop.
We sell Spring potatoes for 4-6 months; sold the Fall crop at one
farmers market.

BTW, we've been picking some asparagus for three weeks. Not much, but
some. Easy to sell.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 218 days 7 hours 18 minutes