market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:50:30 -0800

I am in a new area with a new garden plot. My first summer here (year before
last) I was too busy to do a lot of looking and choosing. I undered a jumbo
size "homesteader/small farmer" seed collection for cooler climates. It came
in a 5 gallon bucket. It was some of everything, lots of tomatoes, squash
and melons. I have been planting from it for 2 years and I still have a lot
of seeds. Everything started and grew like crazy. The quality and taste was
excellent. I have had no crop failure for any reason so far.

If you are adventurous and don't know exactly what you want it is a good way
to go. I am considering ordering it again and just adding some lettuce and
salad greens. I have just planted some of the original seeds. I will let
you know if they still grow.

Disclaimer: I am still in the experimental stage. This is my first "real"
market farm attempt and I don't have to pay the bills with my sales. My
customers are so eager for local fresh products that they take whatever I
offer. I am sure that will change soon enough
Margaret SW Oregon.