market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Application Rates for Poor Soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Application Rates for Poor Soil
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:35:10 -0500

Regards to the list:

I don't see how a "VERY tasty" vegetable could be too happy. ;-)

Marie - One could question what 'very tasty' means in this context, but if the lettuce is getting too much nitrogen and not enough sunlight, for example, as occurs in 4 season lettuce production, the lettuce can 'look good,' 'taste good,' and be harmful to both children and elders. High nitrate lettuce is still not monitored for in the US food systems, as far as I know, but has been screened in Europe for years.

Applying too much manure-based immature compost is sure way to get this problem.

-Allan