market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Mulches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Mulches
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:25:59 -0600

We have used Planter's Paper, a black paper mulch. Its main problem in our
high tunnels is shrinkage - as much as 5-6 feet in 90 feet. That can cover
plants and kill them. Outdoors, with sides covered, it might not do that -
but I've heard that it's hard to lay - tears easily. We used a new product
this year made from recycled paper out of NC. It tore easily, even laying
by hand, was much heavier, a light gray in color, but didn't shrink nearly
as much. Its main problem is its weight. I'm not sure a mulch layer would
handle its bulk either - a roll is about 14-15" in diameter and cannot be
handled by one person. Both break down very nicely - so much nicer than
trying to get plastic out of the field!

We did use photodegradable plastic once, years ago. It did degrade, but
just into smaller pieces of plastic - and the plastic stays in your soil in
some form, literally forever. It may have been improved in the interim.

I wish they'd get the paper "right". Perhaps they will eventually.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm