market-farming - [Market-farming] Mulches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mulches
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:16:55 EST

Are any of you using any paper mulches of photodegradable mulches for growing?  What has been the results of these products in your area?

We did a study using different color plastic's to see the differnt affects on aphids this year,however being as wet a year we had no aphids that I could find so maybe next year we will be able to see some differnt results.  Used chome and silver both, both raised excellent crops of differnt products that we grew on them.  Would still like to have a paper product that will degrade after a years use.  The plastic mulch is really a lot of work in the fall removing it and getting it to the recycler, this year we used about 24,000 ft and that makes a big pile when all gathered up. However I won't try growing without it, it will almost double our production and ease of picking.

Phil from Iowa