market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomatoes after tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomatoes after tomatoes?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:40:08 -0400

Dear fellow farmers:

I'm stressing right now on where to plant the rye/vetch for next year's tomato patch. I know I've heard that 'tomatoes love tomatoes' and that tomatoes are the one plant that does well in the same soil year after year. My tomato patch this year was in what is undoubtedly the best place to plant tomatoes. That's the biggest thing holding me to that spot. I have no concerns about disease and probably even less concern about pests.

What do you think about a tomato-tomato-tomato rotation?

We will be planting 2000 plants next season - a mixture of hybrids and open-pollinated heirlooms

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV