market-farming - Solution!! RE: [Market-farming] mixing a lot of stuff

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Solution!! RE: [Market-farming] mixing a lot of stuff
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:39:35 -0400

Steve and everyone else. The suggestions I received from y'all were
awesome and they actually helped me come up with something that works very
very well. Steve -- although you were late with the suggestion, my final
solution WAS to use the roto-tiller.

The "dirt" I had to deal with was already there, so all I did was mark out
a 10ft by 10ft area (an arbitrary choice). Then I used the tiller to break
up the soil a bit. Some places I got down to 6 inches, some places were
about 8 inches. So the average depth was about 7 inches. Did a coupla
passes with the tiller.

So then I put on top about 4-5 inches of compost (actually at this point
I'm still in the process of making my own compost, so for the moment I'm
buying bags of peat and bags of composted cow manure -- they work really
really well for the short term, but the peat is pretty expensive, $9.50 for
3.8 cf). I tilled this over and over, back and forth, several passes,
until I was satisfied with the consistency of the "soil". Took maybe about
15 minutes. There were quite a few pretty large rocks to deal with -- not
much larger than golf ball sized, but it was really really fun mucking
around in the dirt on my hands a knees! Tee hee hee!

Then I filled the tires. I can say that I did more in 3 hours today than
I've done in the past three weeks!!! Totally, totally, awesome!

Fall and winter crops -- here I come!!!

Thanks again to everyone.

http://mail2web.com/ .

  • Solution!! RE: [Market-farming] mixing a lot of stuff, cheselka AT theriver.com, 09/30/2004