market-farming - [Market-farming] "rural" crime

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: Margaret L Wilson <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] "rural" crime
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:45:06 -0400 (EDT)

Education and geography and police protection and even good intentions seem
to be, at best, buffers against humanity's most negative tendencies. For
decades, we Mississippians resented Faulkner's portrayals of us at our worst
– but when Faulkner scholars and fans from all over the world convene every
year in his (and my) hometown to dissect his literature, the theme I hear
again and again is how universal was his understanding of human nature.

Evil is not just rural or Southern. Sometimes it lives in shacks and
trailers, and other times it lives in penthouses or even cute little
Victorian row houses. Some of the most "civilized" people in history have
committed many of the greatest atrocities. Even those who don't live in
Yoknapatawpha County – even those on the Left Coast – must be vigilant
against others' evil, and our own.

I'm off my soapbox now.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi