market-farming - [Market-farming] Re:Johnny's precision seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org, petersns AT whidbey.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re:Johnny's precision seeder
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:42:46 -0700

I too have had this problem. My findings are that it definitely works better if the soil is very fine, and tamped down lightly. You need to make sure that the wheels are not twisted on too tight. There needs to be at least an 1/8" inch gap between the wheels and the shaft, otherwise they stick no matter what you do.

I've also found that some silicone or graphite liquid lubricant works wonders to keep the wheels turning smoothly. Like Leigh said, handle angle is also important. It's not really intuitive at first, you need to play with the handle angle depending on the soil structure.

Keep at it. Once you get it working, it's a real timesaver.

Roger Weeks