market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Covered Markets?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joe Kames" <farfish AT francomm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Covered Markets?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:08:29 -0400

Sora,

The Catskill Regional Farmers Market is covered. The county renovated the
old Highway Dept Center into a park. The Market is located in the old
freight warehouse (where farm products used to be loaded onto barges to be
shipped to New York City. The Market and associated park are located on a
point where the Catskill Creek runs into the Hudson River. The Market
building has decks built out over the river. Greene County arranged for live
music on market days, and the farmers share the space with crafts people.

What had been a tenuous market on Main Street Catskill is now thriving. We
bring in locals, tourists, boaters and bass fishermen. Being indoors
provides protection from sun and rain. On really nice days we have the
option of setting up outside in the park. The surrounding beauty is a big
factor in its success, as well as the excellent products.

I was not involved in setting up this market but I know that grants were
instrumental.
Andy Turned at ast4 AT cornell.edu could give you more info on this process.

Good luck with a good idea.

Joe