market-farming - [Market-farming] Wheat grass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wheat grass
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:52:57 -0500

Joan,
Wheat grass falls under sprout regulations which is under the control of the
FDA. The regulations are ONEROUS! And I'm being generous in describing
them as such. There is an excellent package (publication and video) called
Safer processing of Sprouts published by the FDA and the California Dept of
Health Services which outlines all of the requirements. To order the
package call 916 445-2263. Even if you decide not to go ahead with it, what
with all of the requirements for HACCP Plans, bathrooms, sinks, separate
storage, seed disinfection, irrigation water testing, etc., etc., etc...it
provides excellent insights into safe food handling practices which are
applicable in a lot of greenhouse food production operations. Event though
they are not required by law it gives you some good direction as to what an
ideal operation would look like and you can plan to incorporate some of
these features as your operation evolves.
> I just had a chef ask me about growing Kansas Wheat Grass for him - and,
of
> course, I said I could.

> If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it - plus just info on growing wheat
> grass. Is it grown in flats like sprouts and greens? Where do you get
the
> seed? And more . .

Adriana