market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Baby Squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Baby Squash
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:49:13 -0400

I think you could ask more per pound for the 'gourmet' and
unusual varieties like these, thereby making up the
difference in poundage between the baby squashes and larger
ones.

hmm, but not at CSA. I'd really like to start giving my shareholders summer squash in the sizes that the recipes and buyers guides recommend rather than in the twice-a-week picking sizes they are getting now.

Of utmost interest to me is an understanding of how a squash produces if it is picked early and often. (How would I ever know? ;-)

My extension agent once pointed out to me the difference between RED bell peppers and GREEN bell pepper: with RED bell peppers you get 2 to 4 fruit per plant; with GREEN bell peppers you get 8 to 15 fruit per plant (and more, I think!?)

Guess which we send out!

Thanks -Allan