market-farming - [Market-farming] Internships, a different question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Internships, a different question
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:45:35 -0400

Folks -

I've noticed the last couple of years that the number of applicants we get for our internship positions are diminishing.

Gosh, in the early 90s, we were inundated in January and February with internship requests and farm visits. This year, we have two superb interns, but, well, gosh, I hate to even think of this, but....they were the only two applicants.

We pay interns a very good salary. ($1800 a month) and there are lots of perks. We farm in a quaint college town and are about an hour drive from both the Baltimore and the Washington metro center. ALso, we are just off the Potomac river and near the Appalachian trail.

Oh, and we are French intensive biodynamic. And, have a host of national teachers who visit the farm or whom we host in talks in town (www.gardeningforthefuture.com.

I think we're pretty attractive as both a place to learn and a place to live for the season.

How about the rest of you? Getting more applications or fewer?

I'm assuming that there are some institutional internship programs (Like through NOFA or PASA or ?) that I'm not registered with.

As it stands right now, all of our intern contacts come from either the biodynamic home page or from ATTRA.

Any ideas?

Thanks -Allan