market-farming - [Market-farming] sorghum-sudan grass as cover crop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] sorghum-sudan grass as cover crop
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:20:12 -0700

We bushhogged sorghum-Sudangrass in the spring after letting it just sit
(dead but tall) all winter. I can't imagine using a tiller (I assume you
mean something like a BSC) - the stalks are big and tough. Especially if
you want to do an early spring planting - before it really decomposes. We
also tried using a riding mower (instead of a bush hog) in the fall, when it
was still green, with seed heads. We could roll it down, but not chop or
cut it with the lawn mower. Maybe you should experiment with a small area
first. But it sure does grow well in clay soil and does give LOTS of
organic matter.

nan j. at dancing goats farm
n. mississippi zone 7b

----- Original Message ----- > > I want to use cover crops that will winter