market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] does rapeseed winterkill?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] does rapeseed winterkill?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:47:53 -0500

If you can still get seed for sorghum-Sudangrass, often sold in seed stores for summer grazing or hay, you might want to try it. Sorghum-Sudangrass is a fast growing hybrid that produces a tremendous amount of biomass, and is killed by frost. I like to leave it on top of the soil as a mulch rather than turning it under, so don't know how tilling with your equipment will work. Spring oats planted in the fall can be used in the same way, but may or may not winter kill in zone 6.

bob111higgins AT comcast.net wrote:

Hi All:

I want to use cover crops that will winter kill so that I don't have a lot of heavy tilling to do in the spring, having only a small tiller and no tractor. (central NJ, zone 6) Looking to break up heavy clay, provide winter cover and organic matter, and possibly end up with some cover I can plant early crops into.