market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: bicycle boxes are Great!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mayapple Farm and Gardens <mayapplefarm AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: bicycle boxes are Great!!
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:35:22 -0700 (PDT)

I have a friend who works at a local feed mill. He
saves the cardboard sheets that line pallets, roughly
4' x 4'. I have been using them for ground contact
under some ruined alfalfa hay mulch for my tomatoes.
I grew up with traditional row crops that required
cultivation and hoeing, and such I appreciate the look
of clean, bare soil with my crops. I have to admit
that the time savings of not weeding and the possible
moisture conservation (although this hasn't been a dry
year by any stretch of the imagination) is starting to
make a believer out of me. My farrier's son works at
a bike shop. I'll ask him about saving the cardboard.

Kevin

=====
Krystyna L. Prochocki
Kevin L. Strohmeier