market-farming - [Market-farming] Foundations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Foundations
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:34:58 -0400

Here's one for anyone who has basic building knowledge:

I finally got the sand filters for our irrigations system. Unfortunately, when filled with media (sand), the filters weigh about 600lbs each and there are TWO of them. The area I need to install them in is a little damp. WIthin a day of installing them, they started to sink. Sinking would not be bad, but they are cocking and, with the linkages, etc, tipping IS bad.

I need to make a gravel foundation to set them on. The question: how deep does such a foundation need to be? 6inches? 4 ft? This filter will NOT be used in freezing weather, so I don't think frost line plays into this, just trying to get stability in rather loose ground.

Thanks -Allan