market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Buying Manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Buying Manure
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:08:01 -0700

We get rabbit and guinea pig manure on a weekly - or sometimes more frequent basis - from our local Humane Society. My wife volunteers there, and when we started up our worm bins this year, we asked what they did with the manure from the rabbits. They were just throwing it away.

It comes with the litter, which is either hay, or some other material that is made out of shredded recycled paper. We feed it to our worms and also spread it out in our flower beds.

There are all sorts of sources of organic material out there. We pick up coffee grounds from a local coffee shop, and hair clippings from a beauty parlor. Worms happily eat both, and the coffee grounds also make a good nitrogen addition to any soil. In addition to our own vegetable scraps, the worms also get thrown-out greens from our closest grocery store.

Sonoma county is also horse country, there are more horse properties within 3 miles of our place than I can count. While you wouldn't want to use straight horse manure, composting it makes it very usable.

Roger Weeks