market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buying Manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buying Manure
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:44:12 -0700

I have to agree with Robin.
Nothing leaves this farm without being paid for. When I had a much smaller
property I bought manure for my garden. I kept rabbits as much for the
manure as anything else. IMHO, rabbit manure is like gold. I doubt that I
would sell it and I sure wouldn't give it away. I have seen it sold in small
bags for gardeners. If I had excess manure I would be raising worms, either
for bait or composter red worms.

I have 4 horses, 15 head of Dexter cattle, 85 sheep and poultry on 53 acres.
This land has been used hard but is not completely worn out. Excess hay
goes back to the land. I bring in 25 tons of alfalfa and probably as much
grass hay. Sheep manure is as good as rabbit manure. After 2 years you can
see how much better the fields are where the sheep graze. The sheep barn
manure goes to improve the garden area. It has gone from hard rocky clay to
beautiful, dark, fertile raised beds. This is the 3rd year and by next year
it should be turning a profit.

Margaret FarAwayFarm

What about you? (Remember: this doesn't involve loading or hauling by