market-farming - [Market-farming] Increasing flower prices and sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lori Sands" <tchfrch AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Increasing flower prices and sales
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:36:24 -0400

I am so disappointed- I knew that my smaller market was not a "flower town", and now I am trying to figure out how to change my approach to flower marketing.

The bouquets I took to market this week were beautiful- 4 or 5 "Pro-Cut" sunflowers per bunch mixed with ammi, yarrow, daylily buds, and wild grasses. They were full and gorgeous. I was asking $8.00 per bouquet and several people inspected them quite closely then walked away because of the price. The farmers next to me had one bouquet the same size (no sunflowers) which sold at $7.00.

I have been selling flowers for 5 years and have not had trouble with pricing before. Customers at a different market used to pay $1.00 per sunflower. This market is smaller and in a smaller town, but the customers are fairly affluent.

I am concerned as I will soon be selling smaller bouquets of zinnias, lisianthus, etc, and I don't want to price them lower than what they are worth. But neither do I want to compost my beautiful flowers.

One obvious solution is to make the sunflower bouquets smaller and lower the price--
what has anyone else done in this situation?

Lori Sands
western PA

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access helps fight spam and pop-ups – now 2 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/