market-farming - [Market-farming] Late melon planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jacobl AT dakotarural.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Late melon planting
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:09:36 -0500

We've had rabbits taste-testing our various melon crops this year and while
we tolerate
a lot of damage, they've gone a bit overboard. What I'd like to do is
replace some of the
hills with new plants, but no one has those at this point in the season. So,
I'm
wondering if I can still direct seed (or start transplants) this late and
still get a ripe
melon. Seems to me that if melons are daylength sensitive I'd just get
smaller plants
with less fruit, but maturation wouldn't be that big of an issue...but I
don't know.

FYI, I'm in zone 4 (east central South Dakota) and the melon variety would be
Noir des
Carmes...normally 75-80 days. Thanks!

Jacob Limmer

  • [Market-farming] Late melon planting, jacobl, 06/29/2004