market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] weed control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Judy & Ernie Duckworth" <jeduck AT midwest.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] weed control
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:12:12 -0500

I am wanting to put down a layer of mulch on our black raspberries,
blackberries, and rhubarb to hold down the weeds and grass. We have access
to a big pile of wood chips, can get some sawdust, have a large pile of
newspapers and old straw. What does the list think would be the best mulch
to use? The berries are 300 feet long rows and trellised with about 12 feet
between the rows planted with fescue and mowed. There are 5 of these rows. I
plan on vacuuming up leaves this fall to pile on the rhubarb but until then
I've got the get the weeds down. I've thought about putting down a layer of
paper and putting the wood chips down between the rows.

Thank you
Ernie
JEDs Farm Southern IL.