market-farming - [Market-farming] Germination of red chard

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mike steinberg <mstein AT wclynx.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Germination of red chard
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 05:43:37 -0700

Our farm is located in a relatively cooler area of northern California-we specialize in greens. We grow from seed in the shade house and then transplant into the field. We have always had trouble in terms of germination with red chard. We get almost 100% germination of green and rainbow chard in our flats, but our red chard germination rate is less than 50%. We usually use ruby red seed from Johnny's but have similar poor results with seeds from other companies. Any solutions or suggestions as to why we get such poor red chard germination would be appreciated.