market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] red mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mimi & Rob" <mimi AT my180.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] red mulch
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:26:43 -0700

This is my third year using red mulch for my tomatoes and peppers. Before
using it I would only see 20% of my tomatoes ripen on the vine before the
frost. The rest had to be picked and ripened in the basement. With the
mulch I get over 50% ripe on the vine. I grow 12-15 different varieties,
all as short as I can - I'm in North Idaho. The mulch has been reusable and
I secured it with grass clippings this year (won't be transplanting till
next week). I have done a shollow trench and covered it with dirt as well.
As for the weeds, they grow regardless, at least most smother under the
mulch, the rest I pull periodically. Weeding is pretty meditative anyway...
Maybe when this wears out I'll try black and see what the difference is. It
still looks good, should last another year or two.

mimi