market-farming - [Market-farming] watercress

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <miranda AT tagoresmith.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] watercress
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 12:30:29 -0400

I've grown watercress commercially in a greenhouse in MA. It grows well
in pots with a fertile, moisture-retentive medium. Keep it moist,
somewhat cool, and use a sea-fish dilution for supplemental
fertilization--it had no disease or insect problems and was EASY,
particularly when you consider the return ($15-20/lb.).

We started a few seeds to a cell in 72's set on the bench tops in
February, transplanted three cells to a 6-inch pot when the plants began
to look crowded in the cell, kept the pots on the bench tops until
greenhouse day temps began to exceed 75 F, and then moved them under the
benches on the east side of the house. We put shifted them around until
each pot could get some morning light but was shaded during the
afternoon.

We cut 6- to 9-inch branch tips, hydro-cooled them, and packed in
perforated plastic bags. Because our quality was so good, we were able
to charge twice as much as the competition--it definitely qualifies as a
great crop.

Good luck,

Miranda Smith