market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkin Patch (fwd)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkin Patch (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 05:18:30 -0500

> > I recommend you add a couple of rows of assorted small ornamental gourds.
> > You'll make more money per pound on those. I sell mine two for a buck plus
> > give them away to little kids. Parents (buyers) love that.

I've planted some gourds for the first time this year. They're already
planted and going so I expect them in another month or two. I'd be
interested in hearing what others do with gourds. Do you dry and store
them for Fall sales? Are there in tricks to drying and storing them?
What is their storage life? Can you just leave them in the field until
you're ready to sell them?

We are now struggling to get in the potato and onion crops before they
go to ruin in the fields; they've been horribly productive and I
horribly over-planted. Most of my crops are now horribly weedy,
suffering from inattention. But the gourds seem to be competing well
with the weeds.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die