market-farming - [Market-farming] Bermuda Grass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bermuda Grass
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:12:12 -0700

When we bought our half acre property in 2000, it was covered in waist-high weeds and grass. A good part of that was bermuda grass, and our neighbor's property is still mostly bermuda.

Over the first two years, we got rid of all the bermuda on our property through a mix of mowing, tilling with the Troy-built, digging out any rhizomes we could find, and finally when we discovered weed flaming, that was the clincher.

I've been able to fight back some pretty nasty weeds using a flame torch. If you catch it when the grass is just coming out, and hasn't started to creep, flaming will keep bermuda grass under control. My only flaming I do now for it is along the fenceline with our neighbor.

I've had good like with flame controlling himalayan blackberries (a terrible weed here in CA, of course also delicious, but not in the middle of your tomatoes), burdock and yellow dock. All of these have serious rhizome roots, and at least I've found that hitting them early and repeatedly the flaming keeps them down.

Roger Weeks